T P Bennett 1887-1980
Sir Thomas Penberthy Bennett KBE RIBA (1887 – 1980)
was responsible for much of the development of the new towns of Crawley and Stevenage. The Saville Theatre, Esso House, and John Barnes Department Store are some of the landmark buildings his practice designed.
Eyre Court (1930-31)
In St John’s Wood, Eyre Court ,with its art deco overtones, embodied many new features of planning. As Bennett wrote: Almost for the first time a block of West End accommodation was devoid of internal areas, its great open courtyard was a feature. It dispensed with external railings giving a more intimate appearance. It provided parking spaces for cars. The spacious principal bedrooms in the largest flats, the separation of the kitchen from the hall by a pantry, daylit kitchen accommodation and service quarters. Attractive entrance halls and compact planning, all these features led to the production of what everyone, not least the tenants, thought of as an outstanding building.
Other work in the area
for St Marylebone Borough Council, incorporating shops, bank and library where Wellington Road meets St John’s Wood Terrace.
89 Avenue Road (1959-60) on the site of St Paul’s church.