Statues in St Johns Wood
There are seven interesting statues and monuments in St Johns Wood.
1.Edward Onslow Ford (1852-1901) The monument is by sculptor Andrea Carlo Lucchesi, the architect J W Simpson: it is a stone pillar with a seated bronze mourning figure at the front, based on Ford’s statue ‘The Muse of Poetry’, and at the rear a wreathed bust of Onslow Ford who died at 62 Acacia Road. It is located at the junction of Abbey Road and Grove End Road.
2. St John the Baptist by Hans Feibusch who lived in Cunningham Place. This statue is located outside St Johns Wood Church Hall.
3. A Bas Relief of 13 sportsmen & women entitled “Play Up, Play Up, and Play the Game” by Gilbert Bayes who lived at 4 Greville Place (Blue Plaque). The figures in 1930s sporting costume include swimming, cricket, tennis, rowing, golf and football. This forms part of the wall surrounding Lord’s Cricket Ground at the junction of St Johns Wood Road & Wellington Road.
4. Bronze statue of W G Grace by Louis Laumen. It is located in Lord’s Cricket Ground.
5. St George & the Dragon by Charles Leonard Hartwell (1873-1951) is a second casting – the first is in Newcastle. It was donated by Sigismund Goetze of Hamilton Lodge, 86 Carlton Hill in 1936. It is located on St Johns Wood roundabout.
6. Statue on a plinth commemorating Richard Powell (1766 – 1834) who was a physician at St Bartholomew’s Hospital and founder of the Medical and Philosophical society. From 1808 to 1825 he was secretary of the Commissioners for Madhouses. After he retired he lived at York Terrace, Regents Park. It is located in St Johns Wood Church gardens.
7. Sculpture of an eagle above the doorway of the chemist’s shop at the top of St Johns Wood High St. In Christian art, St John is symbolically represented by an eagle. Sculptor unknown.