5. St John's Wood High Street a quick walk round the Wood
Turn left out of the Church drive, and left again into St John’s Wood High Street.
(Public lavatories can be found in Wellington Place, first left.)
Green Cabmen’s Shelter, in Wellington Place.
These shelters, which can be found all over London, were first instituted in 1875 in Acacia Road NW8; members of the public can buy warm drinks and bacon butties but only cab drivers can sit inside.
Walk up the High Street to no 45
City of Westminster Green Plaque to Benjamin Britten, composer, and Peter Pears, tenor
who lived here for a while. There are many places which will supply drinks and snacks, both inside and sitting on the pavement. Continue up the High Street to the junction with St John’s Wood Terrace. There is an eagle statue above the portico of the shop on the corner which symbolises St John, one of the twelve apostles. The sculptor is unknown.