A number of local street names are decidedly sylvan – such as Acacia and Elm Tree. Others have a Scottish bias whilst some others are intended to suggest a high class of development – like Clifton who was a first class cricketer associated with the MCC around 1817 or Carlton after the Prince Regent’s residence Carlton House.. But a number of streets have more specific origins.
Abbey Road: nearby Kilburn Priory was attached to the Abbey of Westminster.
Abercorn Place: after James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Abercorn (1811-85), politician and landowner. Lord Abercorn was a governor of Harrow School on whose estate the road was built.
Aberdeen Place: after George-Hamilton-Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen (1784-1860). He was Prime Minister from 1852-55).Lord Aberdeen was also a governor of Harrow School.
Allitsen Road: after nearby resident the composer, Mary Allitsen.
Alpha Road: the first street built on the Eyre Estate.
Avenue Road: this was its name from its start in early 19C presumably because it was a wide road leading north out of the Park.
Barrow Hill Road: Barrow Hill is next to Primrose Hill. Despite its name, no evidence of a burial site has been found.
Bentinck Close: possibly after Lord George Bentinck (1802-1848), Conservative politician and race horse owner.
Blenheim Road and Terrace: after Marlborough’s victory at Blenheim.
Blomfield Road: Charles Blomfield, Bishop of London.
Boundary Road: boundary between parishes of St Marylebone and Hampstead.
Cavendish Avenue and Close: land owned by Cavendish family.
Charlbert Street: formerly Charles Street, probably after Charles Watkins, a property developer who was working around 1822-1830.
Charles Lane: ditto
Circus Road: reflects the circular shape of the original Eyre Estate building plan.
Fairlop Place and Oak Tree Road: Fairlop Oak, a celebrated tree in Essex.
Greenberry Street: possibly a corruption of Green Barrow Hill.
Grove End Road: the end of Lisson Grove.
Hall Road: after the builder William Hall who died in either 1832 or 1833.
Hamilton Terrace: after Charles Hamilton who was a Harrow School governor.
Henstridge Place: means the ridge where stallions are kept.
Kingsmill Terrace: a member of the Eyre family.
Langford Place: owner of Lileston manor in 14th century.
Lisson Grove: manor of Lileston. Originally the road was lined with trees.
Loudoun Road: most likely from John Loudon, a landscape gardener.
Lyons Place: John Lyon (c.1511-92) founded Harrow School.
Mackennal Street: Bertram Mackennal, sculptor, lived nearby.
Maida Vale: a battle (1806) in southern Italy in the Napoleonic wars.
Marlborough Hill and Place: the Duke of Marlborough.
Northwick Terrace: Lord John Northwick, Harrow School governor.
Nugent Terrace: George Nugent-Greville, Baron Nugent (1789-1850).Lord Nugent who was MP for Aylesbury lived in Langford Place.
Ordnance Road: The Board of Ordnance, the original lessee of St John’s Wood Barracks.
Prince Albert Road: after Queen Victoria’s husband.
Queen’s Grove and Terrace: after marriage of Victoria to Albert in 1841.
Randolph Avenue: Lord Randolph Churchill, who was MP for South Paddington in 1885.
Ryder’s Terrace: possibly from OE ried, ryd meaning a clearing in a wood.
St Ann’s Terrace:
St John’s Wood: land owned by the Knights of St John.
Scott-Ellis Gardens: Built by Thomas Scott-Ellis, 8th Baron Howard de Walden (1880-1946) who was a landowner, writer, Olympic athlete and patron the arts.
Springfield Road: from an area called hanging field and spring field at the beginning of the 19th century
Townshend Road: the commander who received the French surrender of Quebec in 1759.
Walpole Mews: Walpole Eyre.
Wellington Road and Place: the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon at the battle of Waterloo in 1815.
Woronzow Road: after Count Woronzow or Vorontsov, Russian ambassador from 1785-1806
We are indebted to “St Johns Wood & Maida Vale Past” by Richard Thames for much of this information. If any reader can supply the explanations missing for the remaining eight streets, please add them to the website.