This list of sources for building history has been compiled by Alison Kenney, Archivist, Westminster Archives. The City of Westminster Archives Centre is at 10 St Ann’s Street, London SW1P 2D.
Catalogues and Indexes
WESTCAT is Westminster’s on-line archive catalogue, including approximately 6,000 images.
More information is continually being added.
- Westminster Libraries book catalogue (WLbc)
- Card Indexes – prints/photos, information in books/ pamphlets, deeds.
Reference books at Westminster Archives
For street names and numbering changes:
- London County Council (LCC) Names of Streets & Places in the Administrative County of London, 1912, 1929, 1955, 1966.
Books – select list
- Buildings of England, London, vol 2, North West
by Nikolaus Pevsner, Yale University Press 2002.
- Listed buildings (printed version) 1987.
(latest version: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list)
- London Street Names by Gillian Bebbington.
Batsford 1972 – includes map of estates.
- Lived in London: Blue Plaques and Stories Behind Them
by Emily Cole. Yale University Press 2009.
- Cottages and Villas: The Birth of the Garden Suburb
by Mireille Galinou. Yale University Press 2010.
commissioned by Eyre Estate, St John’s Wood.
- Marylebone: Great City North of Oxford Street
by Gordon Mackenzie. Macmillan, 1972.
- St John’s Wood and Maida Vale Past by Richard Tames.
Historical Publications, 1998.
Rare books and pamphlets
- Westminster City Council (WCC) development plans and publications, 20th Century.
- Estate agents’ sale particulars, late 19th – 20th century.
Cuttings, newspapers and periodicals
- Cuttings re: buildings, mid-late 20th century –
see street index and classification scheme.
- Local newspaper e.g. Marylebone Mercury – on microfilm.
Directories, Court Guides, Electoral Registers, Census Returns
- Kelly’s Post Office London Directories, 1842-1991.
- Kelly’s Directories for St Marylebone, 1880s-1939.
- Boyles Court Guides (of notable people) 1792-1940.
- Electoral registers of St Marylebone, 1913-2015.
- Census returns, 1841-1911 – on microfilm (except 1911)
Prints and Photographs
- see WESTCAT and prints/photos card index
- engravings, watercolours, drawings, 19th – 20th centuries
- Ashbridge prints of Marylebone, 18-20th centuries
see Ashbridge hand-list
- Photographs, 19th – 20th centuries
Maps – select list
- Plans of the Parish of St Marylebone:
Peter Potter c.1832, George Lucas 1846, 1862
- Ordnance Survey
1867-74, 1894-96, 1906-1919, 1951-present
- A to Z of Victorian London,
Harry Margary and Guildhall Library
1987 – Bacon, New Large Scale Ordnance Atlas of London and Suburbs, 1888
- Charles Booth, Descriptive Map of London Poverty, 1889. For 1898/99 edition, see http://booth.lse.ac.uk
Official, business, institutional, private etc
– see WESTCAT
- St Marylebone Borough Council minutes and committee minutes, 1900-1965
- Westminster City Council minutes and committee minutes, 1965-2000s
- Rate books, 19th century – 1968/69
- Drainage plans, c1885-1985 (WDP1, WDP2)
- Eyre Estate leases, lease plans, maps of St John’s Wood,
18th – 20th centuries (ACC 765, 963, 2650 – 2652)
- Marylebone miscellaneous deeds, 18-20th centuries – see WESTCAT and deeds card index
- London County Council Bomb Damage Maps 1939-1945
Ann Saunders (ed),
London Topographical Society and London Metropolitan Archives, 2005
- Marylebone bomb incident reports, 1940-1945 (MBN CD)