Clifton Hill - early development
Clifton Road East – was built gradually by developer,William Fry, starting at the Abbey Road end, as can be seen from the rate books.
In 1854, there were 8 houses occupied and 6 being built on the north side, while the south side had 4 occupied and 6 being built.
A year later, 18 were occupied on the north side, with 4 empty, and 4 being built, while the south trailed behind with 8 occupied, 4 empty and 15 being built.
By 1856, the north had 24 occupied and 6 empty, the south 15 occupied and 12 empty.
Finally, in 1858, all the houses on the north side were lived in and the south had 25 occupied and 2 empty.
Average rent – for a semi-detached house was £56 p.a (rateable value £50 ) and for a detached one £67 ( rateable value £60).
The Poor Rate - was based on the rateable value; if that was £50, £6.50 p.a had to be paid for the Poor Rate.
In the original leases:
- houses had to have boundaries of 6ft brick walls, with a dwarf wall and stone coping and iron railings in front.
- those with leases had to pay a proportion of lighting, paving and footpath costs, insure against fire and could not build any additional buildings or make alterations without permission of the landlord.
- those with leases must not ‘suffer any part to be occupied by any washer woman or laundress or be used as a tavern, public house, tea drinking house or for the sale of wine or to be used as a receptacle for lunatics‘.
- it was lawful for the landlord twice a year to enter the premises to see the condition of repair
- the house could be repossessed if the rent was unpaid 21 days after the due date.
- every third year the outside had to be washed and painted with two coats of good oil and white lead in appropriate colours
- every 7 years all the inside parts had to be painted and papered houses could only be sublet for one year