George Weldon was born in Chichester in 1908, educated at Sherborne and the Royal College of Music, and studied conducting under Sir Malcolm Sargent. Exempted from military service due to his impeded mobility, he was appointed chief conductor of the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, in 1943, and rebuilt that orchestra before resigning the post in 1950.
In 1952, he became associate conductor of the Hallé Orchestra, a post which he retained until his death in Cape Town in 1963, whilst on a concert tour of South Africa. Noted as a lover of English music and ballet music he conducted the 1955-56 season at Sadler’s Wells. He also had a flair for light music and conducted brass bands. His numerous recordings appeared on the Columbia, Pye and Naxos labels. He was a competent sports car racing driver and an Aston Martin enthusiast and owner.
He occupied the first floor flat at 37 St. John’s Wood Road, certainly from the date of his Hallé appointment, and possibly until his death.