Marshall & Tweedy
Charles Marshall 1867-1940 & William Tweedy 1872-?
Marshall was a Newcastle architect who moved to London in 1899 and formed a partnership with Tweedy, who was in charge of the Newcastle office.
They built Viceroy Court with its 84 luxury flats on Prince Albert Road in 1934 – 36. The Architectural Review noted The planning of the block in the form of an elongated ‘H’ has made it possible to make surrounding lawns and a generous drive-in under two portes-cocheres on the main front.
These portes-cocheres are of reinforced concrete column and slab constructions with canopies containing large circular lights, interspersed with similar electric fittings. Each end of the main faced breaks forward to catch the sun and partially to enclose the entrance forecourt, while the semi-circular windows on the angle of the building form alcoves in each main living room above the ground floor.
The building has a reinforced concrete frame, and the main front is faced with golden brown bricks and cast stone trims. Under the rear lawn is an 80 car garage with filling station. The typical floor plan ranges from a minimum studio flat to the largest 5 bedroom flat. The latter are let at £750 per annum and the studio flats at £150.
Viceroy Court was one of the blocks of flats requisitioned by the RAF and lived in by aircrew training at Lords Cricket Ground in the Second World War.